Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) minor prepares you to teach adult English language learners (ELLs) in the U.S. and abroad. Through the coursework and hands-on experiences, you get the practical knowledge and skills you need to work with culturally and linguistically diverse adults in entry-level teaching and tutoring opportunities. As a speaker of English, regardless of where you go or why you go there, you may be asked to teach or tutor ELLs. The TESOL minor can be a valuable addition to any major as you can see from this list of majors our TESOL minor students represent: Anthropology, Arts and Architecture, Asian Studies, Education, Communication Sciences and Disorders, English, Journalism, and Psychology.
About the Program
You might like this program if…
- You enjoy working with people from other cultures and language backgrounds.
- You want to go abroad, join the Peace Corps, apply for a Fulbright Exchange Program or Critical Languages Scholarship.
- You want to work with adult English language learners in the U.S. or overseas.
- Introduction to Language, Culture, and Social Interaction
- Global English
- Discourse-Functional Grammar
- Methods for Teaching ESL
- Peer Tutoring for Multilingual Writers
- Graduate school to study education
Education, Peace Corps