Criminology is a broad and interdisciplinary field of study that promotes an understanding of crime and the criminal justice system and how they relate to human behavior, social environments, and government policy. Examples of topics studied in criminology are: the causes and consequences of deviant and/or criminal behavior; the structure and functions of the criminal justice system; societal and individual reactions to crimes and criminal justice processing; the spatial and geographical elements associated with crime and poverty; and the dynamics of criminal justice policy making.
Degree Types: ,
- BS options: Business/Public Administration
- Computing and Statistics
- Legal Studies
- Social Science Research
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Political Science
- World Languages
About the Program
You might like this program if…
- You are interested in studying human behavior through an interdisciplinary lens.
- You are fascinated with deviance and/or criminal behavior.
- You would like to study the functioning of the criminal justice system.
- You’re passionate about issues of social justice.
- You would like to go to law school or graduate school.
- You want to pursue a career in policing, corrections or government.
- Introduction to Criminal Justice
- Bias, Prejudice, and Hate Crime
- Introduction to the Law
- Solving Social Wicked Problems
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Office of the Pennsylvania Attorney General
- California Innocence Project
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Pennsylvania Department of Corrections
- Various District Attorneys’ Offices
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Various Police Departments
- Various Law Offices
- Law school
- Medical school
- Graduate school to study criminiology, psychology, sociology, forensic psychology, public administration, public policy, biology, forensic mental health counseling, social work, paralegal, health administration, and terrorism studies
Consulting, Education, Government, Insurance/Risk Analsysis, Intelligence/Investigation, Law Enforcement, Management, Security, Service (Americorps)