Reporting an Accident

You are here: Home / Faculty and Staff / Need Help? Resources Available / Reporting an Accident

Employee Accidents

An accident report should be filed each time an employee is hurt, no matter how minor the injury may seem. To report an accident, the "Employer's Report of Occupational Injury or Disease" form should be completed by the injured employee's immediate supervisor/manager or department head, and the provided forms must be signed and submitted to the OHR Workers' Compensation Office. This online form and many others are accessible from the OHR Workers' Compensation website.

In the event the employee refuses to sign the Workers' Compensation Employee Notification, the supervisor, human resources representative or the safety officer is to note the employee's name, employee ID number, date of injury and the fact the employee refused to sign on the bottom of the notification. The supervisor, human resources representative or safety officer is to sign his/her name (not the name of the injured employee) and date the form. Refusal to sign the form does not relieve the employee of any of the rights and duties listed on the form; including the duty to treat with a panel doctor for the first 90 days of treatment. This notification is also sent to the OHR-Workers' Compensation office.

If you have questions about the form or about reporting an accident, contact the .

View the full University Policy SY04: Employee Accidents - Reporting and Investigation

Student or Non-University Personnel Accidents

In the case of student or non-university personnel accidents, file an Incident Report. This form provides a means for the Risk Management Office to obtain factual information to evaluate claims for property damage or bodily injury accidents or incidents. DO NOT use this form for worker's compensation or automobile accident claims. For worker's compensation claims, use the form in the Employee Accidents section above. For automobile accident claims, use the Vehicle Accident Report form.

Return to Top