Requirements for Graduation
Maintain a Minimum 3.4 GPA Every Semester
- A student's GPA may NOT fall below 3.4 for two consecutive semesters. This will lead to automatic dismissal.
Complete a Specified Number of Honors Courses Each Year
- 21 honors credits in the first two years (normally four courses in the first year and three in the second, which includes the Rhetoric an Civic Life honors sequence ENGL/CAS 137/138).
- At least 14 honors credits in the final two years.
- Honors courses include advanced 400-level courses taken in the first and second years, and graduate-level courses.
Complete a Second Major or an Enhanced Minor
- Only one of the majors needs to be in the College of the Liberal Arts. An enhanced 24-credit minor will count as a second area of expertise, especially if particular field does not offer a major. An 18-credit minor is enhanced by adding six credits from the approved course list for the minor.
Complete an e-Portfolio
- Students create an e-Portfolio in their first year of honors coursework and continue to demonstrate their ability to communicate in a variety of genres (persuasive, argumentative, reflective, and so on) and in a variety of media (verbal, video, audio, and the like) throughout their years at Penn State. A student's e-Portfolio should be submitted for approval through ENGL 397, a 1.5 credit online course, by the end of the third year. (This requirement takes effect with the 2014-15 freshman class. Previously aspiring or admitted Fellows are encouraged to complete an e-Portfolio, which may be used as a third alternative to meet the Global Awareness requirement.)
Complete 3 Credits of Study in Ethics
- Students may choose from a variety of in liberal arts. Students who wish to propose another course for consideration should write to the Director.
Complete a Study Abroad Experience or a 3-Credit Internship
- Study abroad experiences must be at least five weeks in-country. Internships typically involve at least 150 hours of internship work. To document a non-credit internship experience, download the ; complete and submit it using the contact information on the form.
Complete a Substantial Leadership or Service Commitment
- Fellows are expected to take on a leadership role or offer volunteer services to a community of their choice totaling at least 50 hours during their college career. Participants in the Presidential Leadership Academy automatically meet this requirement. To document a leadership or service experience, download the ; complete and submit it using the contact information on the form.
Demonstrate Global Awareness through one of two options:
- Complete two additional courses beyond the 12th-credit-level proficiency in one foreign language, or meet 12th-credit-level proficiency in two foreign languages. (Students majoring or minoring in a foreign language, native speakers of a language other than English, and students studying abroad where the courses are taught in a language other than English will automatically meet this requirement.)
- Take 9 credits in International Cultures (IL) courses beyond the general education requirement.
- Students who aspired or were admitted prior to 2014-15 may fulfill the Global Awareness requirement with a third option of completing the e-Portfolio. 2014-15 aspirants and admits are required to complete the e-Portfolio in addition to demonstrating Global Awareness through one of the two options listed under this heading.
~ plausible scenarios for Communication/Global Awareness requirements for students who aspired or were admitted prior to 2014-15 and for students who aspired or were admitted Summer 2014 or later ~